Austin Avenue Bridges Project
The City of Georgetown, in cooperation with Texas Department of Transportation, is studying Austin Avenue from Valley Street to 3rd Street, including the two bridges crossing the North and South Forks of the San Gabriel River, for improvements. The bridges were constructed in 1940 and deteriorated over time and with increased traffic in the area.
Schedule: The project and environmental review process are complex. The schedule has been updated and extended to allow for additional public input, analysis, and the environmental review and historical review processes. This is an anticipated schedule and as any updates are available, they will be shared.
Activities to date:
- January 2016 – Project Kickoff
- March 2016 – Meetings with property owners
- March 31, 2016 – Public Meeting 1 to share project overview and collect input
- May 2016 – TxDOT signs Advance Funding Agreement to provide environmental review
- June 29, 2016 – Public Meeting 2 to hold visioning workshop on themes and options
- August 23, 2016 – Informal Meeting with Consulting Parties led by TxDOT
- Fall 2016 – Historic Resource Process and Consulting Parties Coordination Begins
- May 11, 2017 – Public Meeting 3 to share possible alternatives
- November 2017 – TxDOT begins formal Section 106 Review with Consulting Parties
- Dec. 11, 2017 – TxDOT holds formal meeting for Consulting Parties
- Feb. 27, 2019 – Public Meeting 4 for input on bridge railing options
- 2019 – Continue environmental and historical review process and update initial cost estimates.
- Early to mid 2020 – Hold Public Meeting 5 to share the preferred alternative and design elements and complete 30 percent design documents (PS&E)
- 2021 – Earliest construction could begin
The City recognizes the importance of working closely with the community throughout this project to identify solutions the community values. Public input will be collected and incorporated in each phase of the study. The Public Involvement Plan for the project highlights that, to make participating in this study convenient, there are many opportunities to learn more and share input. The City and the project team will:
- Share Updates – Project information and updates will be shared as they are available via email. To sign up, enter your email address into the sign up boxes to the left. You may unsubscribe at any time.
- Hold Public Meetings – Meetings will be held to share information, collect input, and offer the opportunity for the City, project team, and the public a chance to work together. 4 meetings are planned and details will be shared as they are confirmed.
- Meet with Stakeholders – As needed the project team will meet with stakeholders and affected property owners. Please contact us if you would like to schedule a call or meeting with the property team.
- Attend Community Meetings – The team will attend events and meetings in the community. We can share a quick update, set up booths, or give a detailed presentation. If you have a group that is interested in a presentation or update, please contact us.
Input and feedback will be collected as we work with the public and then incorporated into the study.
City staff and the project team are always available to visit about the project. Please call or email with any questions or comments. In addition, we are happy to set up individual meetings or make presentations at community meeting. Please let us know if you have any meeting requests.
Please contact us at any time.
City of Georgetown Project Manager: Ray Miller. Jr.
Phone: (512) 930-2544
Updates: Updates will be shared throughout the project as new information is available and to share meeting details. To sign up visit the contact page. Your contact information will not be shared and you may unsubscribe at any time.