Austin Avenue Bridges Project
The City of Georgetown, in cooperation with Texas Department of Transportation, is studying Austin Avenue from Valley Street to 3rd Street, including the two bridges crossing the North and South Forks of the San Gabriel River, for possible transportation improvements. The bridges were constructed in 1940 and deteriorated over time and with increased traffic in the area.
Schedule: The project schedule has been extended to allow for additional public input, analysis and additional steps the environmental review and historical review processes. There is no timeline for construction activities.
Activities to date:
- January 2016 – Project Kickoff
- March 2016 – Meetings with property owners
- March 31, 2016 – Public Meeting 1 to share project overview and collect input
- May 2016 – TxDOT signs Advance Funding Agreement to provide environmental review
- June 29, 2016 – Public Meeting 2 to hold visioning workshop on themes and options
- Aug. 23, 2016 – Informal Meeting with Consulting Parties led by TxDOT
- Fall 2016 – Historic Resource Process and Consulting Parties Coordination Begins
- May 11, 2017 – Public Meeting 3 to share possible alternatives
- November 2017 – TxDOT begins formal Section 106 Review with Consulting Parties
- Dec. 11, 2017 – TxDOT holds formal meeting for Consulting Parties
- Feb. 27, 2019 – Public meeting for input on bridge railing options
Upcoming Schedule and Activities: Below is a general outline of the anticipated schedule. In the environmental review process many steps are dependent on the review and outcome of a prior step. This can lead to shifts in the schedule, so we have adjusted to accommodate.
- Fall 2017 to Early 2018 – Section 106 Consulting Parties Review of Historic Resources Report, comment period, compile report, TxDOT review and approval, submit to Texas Historical Commission for review and approval. (The outcome of the Section 106 process informs the Environmental Assessment and Preferred Alternative)
- Early to Mid 2018 – Develop Environmental Assessment, complete technical reports, and coordinate with TxDOT and other agencies for review
- Mid to Late 2018 – Summary presentation to the Georgetown Transportation Advisory Board and City Council, finalize Environmental Assessment, hold Public Meeting 4 (in a Public Hearing Format) to present preferred alternative, make final refinements, post public meeting report, complete environmental process
- Late 2018 to Early 2019 – Complete 30 percent design documents (PS&E)
*Schedule is preliminary and may be adjusted based on environmental process and review.
The City recognizes the importance of working closely with the community throughout this project to identify solutions the community values. Public input will be collected and incorporated in each phase of the study. The Public Involvement Plan for the project highlights that, to make participating in this study convenient, there are many opportunities to learn more and share input. The City and the project team will:
- Share Updates – Project information and updates will be shared as they are available via email. To sign up, enter your email address into the sign up boxes to the left. You may unsubscribe at any time.
- Hold Public Meetings – Meetings will be held to share information, collect input, and offer the opportunity for the City, project team, and the public a chance to work together. 4 meetings are planned and details will be shared as they are confirmed.
- Meet with Stakeholders – As needed the project team will meet with stakeholders and affected property owners. Please contact us if you would like to schedule a call or meeting with the property team.
- Attend Community Meetings – The team will attend events and meetings in the community. We can share a quick update, set up booths, or give a detailed presentation. If you have a group that is interested in a presentation or update, please contact us.
Input and feedback will be collected as we work with the public and then incorporated into the study.
City staff and the project team are always available to visit about the project. Please call or email with any questions or comments. In addition, we are happy to set up individual meetings or make presentations at community meeting. Please let us know if you have any meeting requests.
Please contact us at any time.
City of Georgetown Project Manager: Ray Miller
Phone: (512) 930-8171
Updates: Updates will be shared throughout the project as new information is available and to share meeting details. If you are interested in receiving these, please complete the form on the left. Your contact information will not be shared and you may unsubscribe at any time.